Thursday, July 8, 2021

Stormy

Stormy Weather on the horizon.


My little sister, Jonya Lee (Stormy) Stapp, says that I have a storm magnet inside of me.  Wherever, we go it seems that storms are attracted to me. 

She is entirely wrong and I have spent decades trying to convince her that she is the storm magnet. After all, Mr. Jack Horner, manager of Woolworth's Five and Dime Store in Miami, Ok. in the 1950's would not have named my sweet darling blue eyed-brunette-haired little sister "STORMY" if she hadn't caused such temper tantrums and crying fits on the floor of the dime store when she didn't get what she wanted.  She is the reason that storms appear so often when we are together.

The End of story #1, she wrote with a smirk. 


The second Stormy in my life began the decades of reading horse and dog stories that broke my heart. Stormy, Misty's Foal;  Misty of Chincoteague; Black Gold, and all books by Marguerite Henry opened the floodgates of emotions that I discovered were real, even though they were caused by stories in a book, on pages, on paper, not in my backyard. That story never ends.


Imagine to my surprise to meet a real life Stormy, on the prairie in 2015. Stormy, the bison bull was born during an ice storm in 2013 and abandoned by his mother. Luckily, the herd's owners realized the situation and rescued the newborn bison. In the beginning he drank eight quarts of goat's milk a day.  
Stormy loved the warm sunny porch of his new home. 

Hearing of my friend's new family member, a group of retired teachers made our way to visit James and Sandy Stepp at their farm, Sandy Springs Farm.
By then Stormy ruled the ranch and all of its surroundings. He made his home wherever he went and he was no longer small. 
Stormy in the banquet barn, 2015


Six years have passed and there is a bigger "Stormy" on the horizon, who roams his own prairie. 

Stormy, front left and his herd.

In early June our grandchildren Ruth Ann and A.J. Walenz and mother, Katy and I drove out to Sandy Springs Farms to see up close real live bison. Stormy had grown into a  massive full adult bison (James said that people just want to call them buffalo, so they gave up and went along with the popular name.**) James explained that at  2,200 pounds Stormy was considered small by standard bull bison. 

Stormy still is comfortable with James walking beside him and scratching his head, but James no longer attempts to ride on Stormy's back, as he did the first four years. Stormy still likes to have his giant head scratched as the kids found out.  Ruth Ann stuck her hand into his forehead and coarse thick warm hair covered her hand all the way to where a watch band might be on her wrist before she touched his forehead. Tempted to pull out some of his hair for a souvenir, James offered to pick up bison hair off the trail, so the kids could take on his hair. 
Ruth Ann reaching through Stormy's hair to touch his forehead. 


A.J. wanted to go under the fence like James....

There is a new bison in the family. Her name is Daisy. She currently lives beside the house in her very own garden of red clay, flowers, a porch for shade, and an open gate to the back pasture so she can roam as she pleases. 
Daisy


Abandoned at birth like Stormy, she was sent to live with James and Sandy by another person who raises bison. Daisy is still skittish of people, but not dogs and cats.  She will walk up to James when he arrives with the 8 quart jug of goat's milk, and drink from the bottle he holds.

James holding 8qrt of goat's milk. 


Like all days and stories we must come to an end.  With a full belly Daisy and James can relax. As for us, with two young children we continued on to picnic at Red Rock Canyon and found even more adventures. 

James and Daisy napping after a hard day's work. 


The two weeks of downpours and stormy weather seem to have faded away, and the sun and clouds are clear today. In Oklahoma stormy weather is never far from the horizon, just like our stories.  



*On a side note my mother often sang the old songs, the songs my ears still enjoys, like Stormy Weather by Lena Horne

** The difference between bison and buffalo: Generally, the buffalo has a larger body than the bison. The buffalo also has bigger horns. The bison has a larger head used to forage for feed during the winter months. The buffalo also has a smooth coat while the bison has a shaggy winter coat. The bison has stocky legs, and a hump on its back which helps hold the musculature of their large head.Bison information

For more stories like this one click on these links below:

I really did this.
I climbed on Stormy's back.
and didn't have time to hold on
before he took off. Thank you
James Stepp for saving my butt.
The fall was hard but it could have
hurt more than my pride 

9 comments:

  1. Takanka. The home of the legendary bison.
    wk

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story about Stormy. That newest little Daisy is so cute, too. They are special people to hand raise the bison. nv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story, Letty. I loved hearing about the bison herd and the interchange between humans and such huge animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few years ago they hosted an outside dinner and Stormy merely sat at the end of the table away from everyone. As he grew up he, the bison, stayed more with his herd and avoided people except for James. It is an amazing story

      Delete
  4. Letty, this is a great story. I felt like I was right there with you and the bison. I'm not sure I want one in the middle of a banquet room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha. Until Stormy was about three years old he could still roam through their banquet barn, even up the stairs! He is an amazing animal, but now fully grown and not allowed inside.

      Delete
    2. I also forgot to mention the books you showed. They were some of my favorites growing up. Horses and dog stories kept me reading and dreaming. I'm glad we've re-connected.

      Delete
    3. Martha, I think it is so curious that we were both born in the Pasadena area after the war and have so much in common. I could have listed animal stories that have brought tears to my eyes for pages.I read Seabiscuit then had the opportunity to go to Santa Anita golf course and racetrack. There I saw the statue to that amazing horse. It made me smile but with tears ready to flow.

      Delete
  5. You are the only one I know who has gotten on a bison! PMF

    ReplyDelete