Sunday, July 18, 2021

Reflections on a Steamy Hot Sunday Afternoon

Oak Tree National's signature tree.

 Oh, my! Welcome to the steamy heat of summer, and yet, I find myself drawn to the outdoors. Some days I wake up and can't wait to get out outside to walk early, pull weeds, play golf, or most often play with Murphy. We were up before 7:00am and outside. I was still in my gown and robe with a cup of hot tea in my hand. It felt comfy. I don't often get to feel mornings like that. 

Sitting down in the morning has never been part of my life. I never saw my parents sitting and drinking coffee, relaxing as many may say. My life
from school to teaching and my years of working and with children at home was never still in the morning.  If I didn't have the energy I needed, I drank my ever faithful sugar caffeine ladened Dr. Pepper. 

Sitting didn't last long this morning, it never does. Murphy and I went for our early morning walk and then it was off to a Sunday morning party (not church or Sunday school) to celebrate The Open, or as Americans' say, "The British Open Golf Championship." Our friends gather; to drink anything from water to wine and mixes in between; share golf stories, and dog stories; eat the finest of English foods; and occasionally watch one of the three televisions showing The Open. Yes, we saw Collin Morikawa make that long birdie putt across the green, and go on to win The Open. 



We ate Scotch Egged Meatballs that tasted spicy. The creamed gravy and green peas mellowed the flavors.  The potato egg casserole with fresh tomatoes was smooth and filling. I believe we each tasted food from every tray, like Salmon and pumpernickel, Salmon on potato cakes, sausage bread, scones, sweet Sherried apple Trifle (very British) and we brought Cranachan (Scottish Oats). Thank you Jennifer and Drew Dugan for hosting us for these charming golf parties. 

LeighAnn Fore and Madison Smith on hole #8

My week started last Monday with golf and ended with golf on Sunday, and filled with fun memories in between. On Monday and Tuesday I helped the Women's Oklahoma Golf Association with the scoring for the Women's State Amateur at The Territory Golf Course in Duncan. Helping gave me time to tour the course and watch the young girls and determined women play. Congratulations, Shaebug Scarberry 2021 State Amateur Champion.Steady Scarberry Wins 


Wednesday we found time to spend with our precocious six-year-old granddaughter, Ruth Ann.  We spent time playing dress up, except she is the only one who could get into my mini-skirt outfit from 1973! It even has matching undershorts.  I don't ever remember being that skinny.  







On Thursday four of us met at Oak Tree National in Edmond to play 18 holes of golf. This golf course, opened in 1976, is tree lined tough, no matter which tee box is used. It had been a men's only club until recently, when women were allowed to join. 

Julia Wood and Letty, friends since the 1980's.
Cheers to all of memories of playing golf and living.
Hole #13 at Oak Tree National, Ouch!

According to the website the course has everything – sand, water, trees, length, thick rough and fiercely contoured greens. Dye enhanced the gently rolling property, adding some bumps and hollows of his own along the fairways. The course meanders through oak forests, across streams and around lakes with water coming into play on 13 holes, including each of the par-3 holes.

Thunder, lighting and rains roared through Saturday afternoon and woke me from a sound nap. Today a light rain rolled in on a thunder train. It's warm and sticky out, but we managed to play with Murphy enough that he is worn out.



Maybe, he managed to play with us enough to wear us out. 


Murphy is into creative artwork this week.
 He is daily looking for ways to create collages on our floors with soft toy stuffing, shredded toilet paper, and magazines and newspapers strewn over and under furniture. All of our books are now on top shelves, no flowers or decorative arts are allowed on tables, all items are stored above his jumping abilities. 

We start our puppy Canine Academy classes this week. I wonder if Murphy will be as good as Pinkerton in Steven Kellogg's classic stories of his Great Dane? Perhaps next week Murphy will have something to say about his new classes on behavior. 


But Katy said she liked toilet paper art. 

Maybe, tomorrow I will start the morning outside relaxing with a cup of hot tea, and watch the grass grow (or throw a frisbee dozens of  times). 

1 comment:

  1. Refreshing chronicle of a week we’ll-lived with an array of interesting events outside the home as well as humor and “artwork” scattered within the walls at home. And that adorable, stylish Ruth Ann.....whose beautiful child is this gem?

    Pleasurable reading for me this morning and did I tell you playing dress up in my mothers clothes was an all time favorite play event for me!

    Love you and wishing you another interesting and rewarding week.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete