Tuesday, February 22, 2022

BLAME IT ON VALENTINE'S

Is Love in the air?

Blame it on Valentine's or better yet, blame it on Covid, but I feel pretty.  Saying "I feel pretty" is not the same as "I am pretty."  I am a romantic at heart and could watch the movie "Pretty Woman" over and over, because Julia Roberts is stunning and beautiful. My favorite romantic movie is "Princess Bride" when Wesley replies to the princess, "As you wish."

This year for Valentine's Jack bought me some new jewelry. I surprised him with the gift he gave me. He smiled and said, "The pink fits you fine."  I smiled, too, and giggled. 


Along with the jewelry came the opportunity to dress up and apply a light level of makeup. Dress up? After two years of Covid. It felt exhilarating and the new jewelry lifted my spirits. 

The next day I wore another new piece of funky jewelry that my friend, Kathy Klopfenstein Hale created. She is also the creator of the stunning pink "light up my life" jewelry shown above. ByKatDesigns (click to go to the site)

One cold winter's day since Valentine's I sat down with my jewelry and began to play like a child with free time. I set aside different pieces and organized them by feelings or memories. Once again my heart felt lighter and I giggled with my discovery, like I'd found a hidden gold mine of fanciful feelings and  emotions. My Aunt Della wore the tiny Safire diamond as a ring when she was engaged, a long time ago. My friend Peggy took seashells that my mother collected and created a necklace of shells and woven beads. My friends Kathy and Cheryl once beaded necklaces of colorful stones. My daughter, my sister, and so many more friends who had bought me jewelry over the decades. 

Had those emotions been hidden by a mask for two years?

Had those feminine feelings of being attractive been masked by jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts of winter wear, or no where to go?

I left my jewelry on the bedspread for a few hours, while I pondered what to do. 

I went back to Kathy's Etsy (By Kat Designs)  site to try to figure out what happened to my psychic. This is what I discovered.

Had I bought this piece I might have felt charming when wearing it


This one said, I feel sassy. That made me laugh and think of a friend who could wear that piece quite well. 








This one filled with whimsy but beckoned a feeling funkiness. 






Like "touch magic" I felt the difference in how I looked at my jewelry. Instead of matching pieces of clothing, I saw it as a way to express my feelings. Had it always been that way? 

I must have felt puzzled when I bought this colorful fall leaf in during a spring festival. 


This is my 1968 pin I bought to show that I am different. I have no idea how I felt, but I recall not wanting to look like everyone else, and yet fit in. 

It's time to wear some of those old pieces filled with charm and delight. Wasn't there a song called Afternoon Delight by Starland Vocal Band? 


    Is there Love in the air?


When I read this quote on social media, I decided to use it as my mantra:

Wake up every morning, close a door, and keep the old woman out!


The lady I have been seeing in the mirror the last few years has been stuck inside too long. Her reflection in the mirror shows the lines of time. In this photo I took for the jewelry, I noticed something about my picture of rose red and pink jewels. 

Yes, there is an older woman standing there, looking at herself, looking at the mess behind her and around her, but this older woman is not old. Older than she ever thought possible when she bought that hippie pin, longer in the teeth, heavier on her feet, wider around the waist, yet brighter inside her heart. 

Now I have a plan, a way to close the door on that old woman. If it is not a yard day or cleaning house day, then this older woman will be wearing jewelry, new and old, feeling pretty, feeling sassy, feeling curious, and feeling happy and adventurous. I might even be singing to myself:


I feel pretty

Oh, so pretty

I feel pretty, and witty, and bright...

For I'm loved

By a pretty wonderful guy! 

Westside Story, 1961 I Feel Pretty 

Yes, there is Love in the air. 

10 comments:

  1. Love this message Letty… thanks for being so real and vulnerable. Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Letty,

    I just love you! What a magnificent post!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now you understand Queen Elizabeth and her use of pins, mon ami.
    Judy D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Letty.

    I like silver and so much of my jewelry is tarnished. One of these days I need to go through it all, polish what I love and part with the rest. As with anything else I declutter, I will ask three questions: Is it beautiful? Is it meaningful? (Did Curt pick it out?) Is it useful? (In this case useful means is there something I would wear it with.) If it's two out of three, I keep it. If it is three out of three I treasure it. If it is none of the above it goes in the trash. One of these days. MMc

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this so so much!!! Caley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful lady, beautiful post!! LS

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have inspired me to go through my jewelry and wear the fun stuff, if even just to CVS. Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun and empowering! Debbie C.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post is inspiring me to use a different filter for looking at life! xoxo Susan

    ReplyDelete