Saturday, October 31, 2020

Meaningful Moments

This week has passed in a wintry blur of frozen tree limbs hanging to the ground building igloos underneath.  For a week the weather predictors promised ice and rain, but since when do we put a great deal of credit in their exuberance to share diabolical weather conditions?

We felt the sting of winter and our trees bent and broke before our very eyes. 

In those my moments of awe at Mother Nature's power, I found some amazing moments. 






I love zinnias and enjoy watching the birds freely scatter the zinnia seeds from year to year. They may pop us anywhere in our gardens bringing a smile to my face and the hum of insects exploring their red, pink, violet, burning orange, or yellow petals. With this ice storm I discovered their beauty encased in ice. Isn't nature amazing?

Along with the shock of the ice storm came the experience of waiting in line to vote early at the Fairgrounds. I really don't know what we expected to see at 8:00 in the morning with a cold blustery damp rain falling, but it sure wasn't the line already wrapped around the building on the outside! Being the problem solvers that we are, we drove over to IHop and ate breakfast. Still not believing a line in the weather, we drove by the Fairgrounds and moaned. The line was even longer. 

By noon the weather changed and the sun came out. It seems like another few hundred or thousand people made the same choice. We stood in line from 12:24pm until we voted at 2:35pm. 

I am proud to be an American, and even more proud  that our crowd of people from our county all wore masks, displayed no abusiveness, no arguments, nothing negative. In fact, I enjoyed people watching. Amazing how we all seem to blend as thoughtful caring human beings. Each and every person felt a duty to vote and not make a scene. 

  I'm Proud to Be an American by Lee Greenwood (click here to listen to the music)

And I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me
And I'd gladly stand up next to you
And defend Her still today
'Cause there ain't no doubt
I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.


There is still nothing better than neighborhood friends who step in to help in times of need, and we all need help from time to time. Thank you Charley and Debi for helping us to save one tree in the front yard, by cutting down the damaged hanging tree. 



After several hours of labor over two days, the tree is down and stacked all around the yard. We finished off the night with pizza and a few adult beverages. Cheers! We are thankful for meaningful moments in life.   





5 comments:

  1. Loved your voting story. Lazy Marilyn popped it in the mail Oct. 15. I think we are all looking forward to the end of this election cycle. mb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved Lee Greenwood's song. nv

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Letty, your positive outlook radiates throughout this piece! My front and back yard both looked like warzones. The sweet man who mows my lawn every Friday came last Friday and worked the entire day climbing a ladder, cutting huge limbs, loading them up, and hauling them away. How blessed I am that I have his generous services. ld

    ReplyDelete
  4. Letty, when I wandered over to your yard on Saturday I observed something special and wonderful. Here were 4 people, totally exhausted from 2 days of hard labor, and just emanating positive energy like crazy from a job well done, with all of the camaraderie and endorphins that go with it. I felt energized just walking into your presence. So glad to now read the story. Quite amazing. jk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you received help in your time of need. We were in OKC this weekend and saw the devastation first hand. Memorable Fall on many levels. acm

    ReplyDelete