Friday, January 17, 2020

Mind Travels

and the next time you gaze at the sky...dream dreams by Peter Spier

My mind does not travel
  like a driver on the Interstate.
It flows down old-fashion by-ways,
  through curious towns--
talking to strangers
smiling at all and
wondering what comes next. 

       Letty Watt
       



The white ring-neck dove sitting on the bird feeder this morning caught my immediate attention when I sat down to write. My movement caused a flurry of wings and explosion of energy as he flew away. Before I could could write a single word the finches arrived, three males with the rosy red heads and two brown to blanche females who seem more nervous than the male. The male finch showed off his rosy patch on his back while flitting from perch to perch. Thank you nature for this rosy distraction. 

Suddenly, the cold rains stopped the birds from feeding, so it may be a while before I am distracted by the doves, finches, Cardinals, or lively Carolina Wrens that feed and sing for us daily. 

January usually finds me thinking about resolutions and goals. In 2016 I wrote a resolution in this story Goals from the Heart I am still working on that resolution.
Eastside School  1894

This year after my 72nd birthday I began to count--all of the places yet to visit, all of the tasks yet unfinished, all of the new things yet to learn, all of my friends and family yet to enjoy time with, all of the projects yet to begin, and all of the books yet to read. Will I make it to 103?

From the simple word HOW I realized that it is goals I need to help me pursue tomorrow and all the days that I have left to enjoy. By definition a goal provides a direction to follow to achieve a desired outcome. Goals involve intention setting, planning, preparing, and taking action. 
Jefferson 1938


These steps are like my plans to stay strong and active, mentally and physically.  Then somewhere in the recesses of my mind I hear my mother sing to me a Frank Sinatra song called Love and Marriage. She used that song frequently when I wanted to do more things in a day than time allowed. "You can't do one things without the other." I was left to interrupt the message.



When Women's Golf made the social page of the newspaper. 1965.

Last fall the Women's Oklahoma Golf Association asked me to take on the task as historian. When I discovered a closet full of old scrapbooks that needed attention my mind began to swirl. 

One task of organizing history led to another. Since 1994 I have carried with me both on paper and in my head and heart the 100 year history of a school where I once taught, Jefferson Elementary in Norman, Oklahoma. With the help of Kathy Taber, Carol Upchurch, and Sallie Kennedy we have a team and a goal to collect the colorful history of Norman's original land site school in 1894. 

Needing help, I turned to the the University of Oklahoma's Western History Collection for guidance. Jacquelyn Reese helped me build a plan for success with both of my tasks.  Now on each notebook in bold print I keep the steps to organizing history: COLLECT, SORT, LABEL, PRESERVE, AND SHARE. It sounds so simple. 

 
Jefferson 1994 (mural by Peggy Smith)


  This month I've designated for the "sorting party" celebrations. We have begun our sorting parties at Jefferson on Thursday afternoons.  On January 28 we will be sorting women's golf history at Tulsa Country Club. Each time I think of sorting my mind always strays to Harry Potter and the 'sorting hat' that originally belonged to Godric Gryffindor, one of the founders of Hogwarts. Since our stories are old like Hogwarts I hope we will find the same magic with our sorting parties. 
Sorting at home. 

NOTE: If you would like to help with the either collection of history, please leave a comment in the section below this story. I will  reply.

Other stories pertaining to Jefferson and Women's Oklahoma Golf Association you may like to read:

Jefferson: Inspiration--A Story a Story  ( a story about stories and puppets)

Jefferson:Golf Gypsy: The Secret to Staying Young (a story about Lois Cowles)

WOGA;Letter to Dad

WOGA;  Herstory: Susan Basolo


1 comment: