Monday, November 11, 2019

Tribute to Trees


I stand by the windows watching natures winter wrath. 

Such chaos in the midst of fierce bitter cold winds
slapping trees from side to side;
slashing leaves before they hit the ground;
swallowing all colors remaining in the mums.
I imagine the metaphoric words from Robert Frost
'nothing gold can stay,' and Kilmer's poem of "A tree that looks at God all day, and lifts her leafy arms to pray. 
I am thankful that poets write the words to describe the feelings and pictures that I experience on this dismal fall to winter day. 





I think I shall never see
a poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
and lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in summer wear,
a nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
but only God can make a tree.
                                                                                           by Joyce Kilmer             in 1913








 NOTHING GOLD CAN STAY   by Robert Frost in 1923 





Nature's first green is gold,

Her hardest hue to hold.

Her early leaf's a flower;

But only so an hour.

Then leaf subsides to leaf.

So Eden sank to grief,

So dawn goes down to day,

Nothing gold can stay.


















5 comments:

  1. Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest is in NC and has an area of AMAZING old growth yellow poplar trees! We hiked up and at one point CE wrapped his arms around a tree... took three extended arm-wraps to circle that tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could hardly bear to look at it yesterday, Letty. It felt like a farewell to the all-too-brief favorite season--but hope remains in the coming days before we're hemmed in for the winter. I loved the poetic references. mob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you..the beauty of fall and the colorful leaves. dbh

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, Letty. Our MHS choir sang this poem when I was in school. jr

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so good. I love the Kilmer poem, too. nv

    ReplyDelete