Saturday, August 31, 2019

Younger Longer: Hamstring to Damnstring

 When it hurts it is horrid
 but when it works it's glorious.

In one simple bend or squat my older body can go from agile and flexible to humble and bent. Perhaps a more humorous outlook is to call staying healthy as we age "a real pain the butt!"

Lining up a putt at Quail Creek GC.


I have enough difficulty sitting that is simply inborn in me, but when I sit to write or sit to read and my hamstring is tight it pinches my sciatica and butt! Sitting and bouncing in a golf cart can be surprisingly painful. All the more reason to walk, now that we have survived the 100 degree days. Most of all the shortened or inflamed hamstring pulls on my back. When that happens I cannot rotate my hips properly. Often the painful hamstring causes me to sway instead of rotate allowing my arms and shoulders to take over.  

My thinking is to never let pain be in control of my life.

My mother taught me that WHERE THERE IS A WILL, THERE IS A WAY.  

So, once again with the help of physical therapists and exercise options, I now incorporate "the pigeon stretch" nearly every day.
Step One! bend at the hips, not the back. 
 Step Two! Reality test.  Stop when it hurts.
It will get easier. 



Another step to keep the body young and agile is to learn the flapper step. When the quadriceps or hamstrings are tight the dance step is short and slow. 




 OR

When the quadriceps and hamstrings are agile look what can be achieved, if you can laugh at yourself and be proud.



 Letty's version of the flapper dance.


Most importantly keep moving, wiggling, giggling, and kicking.

The Dancing Flapper Girls  Click on this link for a flash back in time.

And remember the words of George Bernard Shaw:


"This is the true joy in life, the being used
for a purpose recognized by yourself
as a mighty one...
I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the
community, and as long as I live, it is my
privilege to do for it whatever I can. 
I want to be thoroughly used up when I die,
for the harder I work, the more I live."



4 comments:

  1. Never give up never surrender…James T Kirk of the USS Enterprise…yayayay. Keep it up Letty, it is all about muscle mass and flexibility at our age…for the first time in my life I have a little high blood pressure…so I immediately get on the case…so much we can do to push the 4th enemy off…never defeat it but push it off. The first enemy is fear, if we have ever defeated it we know how. The next is clarity…..allowing ourselves to let go of a point of clarity to enter into a little confusion or not knowing to reach a new point of clarity, this is called learning. The third is power, tough one for sure and requires vigilance…not to get eaten by it…and 4th is death, never deferible but we can push it off and push it off…sending love and hugs to you my friend. So proud of you and your work…it touches the heart.
    Judy D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspire me! After reading your blog I got out of bed and did my weight lifting and stretch exercises. Haven’t been doing them this summer, so thanks for the kick in the butt. vmr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great article.
    I only can tell you.....I so relate to everything you
    are going through. I've been going for physical
    therapy and it certainly makes a difference, I
    just need to follow through with the exercises
    every day. "Keep up the good work"....as a
    good teacher would tell her students!!!!!!
    Judy F.

    ReplyDelete