Friday, March 22, 2019

Younger Longer--Monster Walks

Monster Walk
Making time to stay healthy is difficult, so I look for shortcuts to building strength in my body. Between church and my afternoon plans I thought I'd walk over the hill and back to refresh my mind and legs, but time ran out. Rather than spewing steam and frustration my inner driver remained calm and directing me to the blue band sitting on the floor. Within ten minutes I walked forward backward and around the yard wearing my blue monster band. My heart rate went up and my legs felt fresh and ready to go. But it's not always that easy.


Thank you Tom Thaves for recognizing the importance of becoming active

This week  Frank and Ernest stepped into to create laughter which is something I often experience as a direct result of  my inability to perform some stretches or strength training. This winter during the 'cold' days my muscles felt like a frozen rubber bands, and I realized that my body needed professional care. Thanks to Therapy in Motion in Norman, I immediately found a shred of hope and the return of some muscular activity. As I age my muscles seem to shrink and loose elasticity, so much that I set my New Year's goal to stop groaning, moaning, and whimpering every time I moved! The positive attitude and picture of good health along with a dynamic workout program has me moving more gracefully. 

The first trick is to get the band on the ankles
without falling over. 
My number one exercise for recovery (for me) is walking forward and backwards with an elastic band around my ankles. This is called a "Monster Walk" I think because my body looks like a gorilla walking slowing front and back. What are monster walks? (click here for a professional explanation)

This exercise can be done daily, starting slowing with a lighter band then gradually working up in tighter bands and longer moves. Keep the feet and hips facing forward and in alignment. Step forward diagonally maintaining bent knees, athletic posture, and wide stance creating tension. Moving methodically and slowing; keeping the tension on the band is critical. Slowly stepping allows the band tension to build muscle in my legs and glutes. (Notice my left leg is the weaker hip and glute. It tends to point outside rather than straight ahead.)

Why perform the "monster walk"?
*it activates the hip and glute muscles
*it helps with stability in standing and moving
*the squat position creates activation the core, hips, and lower body
*glutes, hamstrings, hips, and outer legs are strengthened by feeling the burn with each movement


One lesson I seem to relearn every few years is that my older muscles atrophy when not used, and that HURTS. Consequently, I now have monster walks as a daily routine inside our outside. I am up to the blue band and walking forward 30 steps, back 30 steps, and repeat. Please realize that I am the active learner not the doctor or therapist.
Therapy in Motion (professional site)

*Note a word of caution. There is another name I call this walk and it's not pretty.

Notice the posture in a monster walk needs to be similar to the photo above with the knees bent at a 45 degree angle. In golf or tennis terms this means stick the butt out, use athletic stance, out or pretend to sit on the bar stool. Herein, lies the biggest embarrassment of performing the walks, which I renamed the "Fart Walk." Without any warning, I can be totally focused on balance and moving slowly in the gym or outside and then, like a child's lips pursed together a long buzzing sound oozes out of my body causing me to  bolt upright with my face turning shades of pink. I learned an old geezers trick from my father--when the toot or whistle occurs immediately look at someone else in the room as if he or she is the guilty party. Pets work especially well with this trick. 

The benefits of monster walks are amazing.
*reduce the risk of injury from falling
*tones the rear
*helps with balance and coordination
*creates strong muscles 
*burns calories

 I consider myself a "perennial" woman, and as a results of this exercise my rear is toned, my core is stronger and my posture is straight. I have lost a few pounds but most importantly my clothes fit nicely, and I feel like life as returned...a true perennial.







2 comments:

  1. Looking good Letty!
    Thanks for info..
    from GnCS

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make all the exercise stuff seem so funny, but we both know it works. I`ve been changed to once a week now and added a couple new things, so now some new parts of me are feeling lame. But that is only temporary.
    I`m just grateful that Medicare covers it. Hang in there, gal.
    from JK

    ReplyDelete