Monday, January 28, 2019

Pelican Icebergs

.

On a cool winter afternoon
  I chose the rust colored rocks as my perch,
Looking and listening for gifts from God.
  
The setting sun's warmth drew me to
  the water's edge.
Retreating as I was from my mind's 
  incessant swirling

Alone in the quiet my eyes saw
  the floating iceberg,
But my brain rejected the vision crying,
  "Not in Oklahoma!"


The iceberg continued floating and bobbing
  while my brain adjusted to the sight.
Indeed, the white iceberg remained floating
  filled with life squawking, gurgling, cooing.

Minutes upon minutes whispered by
  and I grew restless.
In God's time the Southern tip of the white bobby berg
  began lifting off from the sparkling surface.

Filled with grace and the echoing hum of a pipe organ
  the Pelicans white outstretched wings flapped in unison.
First, flying South then turning North creating 
  an ice skater's figure eight in the air. 

Down, then up again they soared in graceful
  harmony.
Remaining far from shore the pouch of pelicans 
  alighted on the water's surface like a blizzard of snowflakes. 

I thanked God for that moment of beauty
  and vowed to return at sunset.

As the sun reached lands end the cackling turned to cooing.
  "Good night snow white Pelicans," I whispered. 


Letty Watt, January 28, 2019 (Ft. Gibson lake, Sequoyah St. Lodge) 


Thank you Mary Oliver for being my poet muse, my nature guide to hidden beauties that we often miss.  Our poet Heron, Mary, has taken fight for heaven, but her words live on helping us observe nature's gifts.

Mary Oliver wrote: 

When it's over, I want to say: all my life
I was a bride married to amazement.

(When Death Comes. New and Selected Poems, Vol 1, Beacon Press) 

Mary Oliver

Mary Oliver, Pulitzer Prize Winning Poet




7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and responding to my blog.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing...that was so touching. jf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this story. So much beauty in the world around us if we slow down to enjoy it. vmr

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was lovely! I love your awareness of the world around you And I've always enjoyed that brief poem and phrase from Mary Oliver.."married to amazement." Terri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Letty, I really needed your beautiful poem this a.m. as I'm just now emerging from what Larry calls "The Dreaded Mahokas" (long O and emphasis on that syllable). It's not the influenza, so the antibiotics are vanquishing whatever it is! I also loved the Mary Oliver quote. I'm putting it on Larry's mirror.
    On an opposite note: I finished reading Underground Railroad, and it makes the reader feel more than a bit "underground." I think it's a great novel & richly deserving of its Pulitzer and National Book Award. It's not exactly the opposite of the poetry, I suppose, in that it's literature of a high, high quality. I think maybe the word "stunned" best describes my personal response. I knew the history all too well, but literature carries knowledge deeper.
    mob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Letty, have enjoyed reading your blog. It is serene, calming. nf

    ReplyDelete