Monday, February 12, 2018

The Heartbeat of the Story


Poster for Wonder Woman
In the last year two new movies "Wonder Woman" and "The Last Jedi" hit the movie screens and people of all ages and genders flocked to the theatres to take flight in a fantasy of possibilities. The entertainment factor appealed to our imagination.  Both women persevered and abandoned the life they'd planned, much like each of us do day by day, except Wonder Woman and the young Jedi possessed the gifts of power and strength that we can only enjoy via the movie screen or books.  Each heroine carried a purpose "to save the world from Evil."

  We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. 
       --Joseph Campbell




There were decades in my life, as a parent and teacher when I truly believed I could  make a difference in the world. It might be only in tiny steps, but my purpose remained clear--leave the world a better place than I found it by making a positive impact on the lives of children.


   Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors for you where there were only walls. 
      --Joseph Campbell
   



Like Wonder Woman I discovered that I couldn't do it all, but I could do my best for children every day.  Luckily, I stepped into the world of children's literature when hired for my first library job in a public library where twice I'd been kicked out: Once as a child when my little sister would not stop crying and we were asked to leave;  The other time when my orneriness created too much havoc on a quiet study night and the librarian told me to exit. 

The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek.  --Joseph Campbell

Along the way to saving the world, one child at a time, I found friends and fellow teachers, who believed as I. Our desire to help each child drove us to be better people and teachers. Even with

dream and purpose, we are not heroines nor heroes of newspapers and books, we are instead, as my mother liked to describe 'the heartbeat of our family.'

We're not on our journey to save the world but to save ourselves. But in doing that you save the world. The influence of a vital person vitalizes.           --Joseph Campbell




No comments:

Post a Comment