Friday, December 30, 2016

What a Way to Go!


 The crisp winter sun warmed a living room filled with grown nieces, nephews, greats and grands, and a tree brightly gleaming for an early Christmas with Aunt Pat’s family.  One by one the children opened their gifts with joyous shouts, the adults chimed in as gift by gift opened to surprises.  Pat laughed and continued to direct who would open the next gift.  We loved her skills at directing the chaos of Christmas,  a classroom, or a school filled with teachers, children, and parents.  Pat took charge.

Her golfing friends from Prairie Dunes lovingly nicknamed her Madam President and Lemmon Drop. When she'd hug someone she admired she might say with a giggle, "I bet you've never been squeezed by a lemon before."  She loved it when we teased her because she understand that we knew her deep down inside.  We knew she loved children; she loved life; she loved organizing people. Her commitment to Civic Duty in Hutchinson, Ks made a positive impact for many.

More than anything she loved to play golf and bring friends to Prairie Dunes.  As the sometimes self-appointed greeter for generations of people coming through the doors of her beloved golf course, Pat beamed with pride. She was never short on her opinions.  One of her proudest achievements in golf came when she won the Jeanine Washburn trophy in 2003 and 2009. It had been her idea to celebrate her friend, Jeanine, by creating a trophy for the Senior woman who played the best in the annual City Tournament.
Trudy, Pat, Letty, Doris, Manon, LeeAnn, Pat Lemmon 2003

Putting was her favorite part of playing golf, and she secretly carried on conversations with the original designer of Prairie Dunes, Perry Maxwell, about the dastardly breaks and nuances of the greens. When her golf ball rolled in the hole you could see her blue eyes sparkle in delight.  However, her golf ball sometimes went sideways instead of straight ahead, causing much laughter by those of us in her group. One time she hit the ball on the heel of the club causing the ball to eject behind her on the left side. In a heartbeat Trudy and I leaped skywards avoiding a sharp blow from the golf ball.  As we stood stunned Pat merely looked at us and asked, “Why were you standing there?”  Why explain that we thought standing behind someone and a few yards up was generally a safe place to be!  After stunned silence there was laughter, and with Lemmon Drop you could count on her high pitch laughter. 
Ike, Pat Lemmon, Sonja. Book Club dinner

At book club she regularly  had a point to make. When we heard her words, "Now I have something to say."  We all turned. She waited until the room was silent, then with her strict teacher/principal look she’d hold the book up for us to see and state her mind. We might have disputed her opinion from time to time, but we remained focused on her when she spoke.  Madam President knew how to control the situation.

That early December afternoon after kisses and hugs had gone round the room for thanks and love, her niece Susan stood up to bring in the fudge that Pat especially loved.  Within the moment, Pat Lemmon, my friend, a woman respected by thousands, closed her eyes and slumped in the chair. A massive ischemic stroke had closed her eyes forever. 

I wasn’t there but I can only imagine the beauty of her smile and the gentle touch from heaven above.  She never regained consciousness and died one week later. Oh, what a way to go. 

How ironic, that her death found a way to lift my spirits and belief in the almighty’s timing.  We are watching my mother-in-law travel the long painful road to heaven, and our hearts  break each day as we see her life slowly fading away.  “Why,'  I’ve cried to God so many times, “Why does my mother-in-law have to struggle and suffer this long slow aging process.”  After hearing that Pat Lemmon, was uplifted in such peace and glory, like The Little Match Girl, I realized the truth in these words from Ecclesiastes 3:


To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven;
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance.


Thanks for the memories Madam President.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for your thoughtful, humorous piece about Pat Lemmon on, friend to many. My connection with Pat began when our older daughter started kindergarten at Roosevelt. We were living in Hyde Park in those days. Pat was a strong principal who treated her children with genuine affection. To be candid, some staff found her intimidating! I think Pat mellowed with the years, as many of us do. I saw her frequently in the bar area of Prairie Dunes. I was lounging and she was coming in after a round of golf. My last lengthy talk with her was while we were waiting for car service at Conklin's. We talked mostly about education--no surprise there. Pat went "on the circuit" for a time after she retired, and I recall hearing a very interesting presentation about individual differences. What struck with me was learning about my optimum productivity times of day. I should have known: test showed that I should probably just go to bed with a cold compress on my head in the afternoons. I love both morning and night, both exciting, but afternoons have always seemed dull to me! Remembering Pat in that learning context makes me smile! Thank you, Letty, and Happy New Year. mb

    ReplyDelete
  2. She must have been a fun lady to be around. nv

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful tribute to her! Thanks for sharing your thoughts so beautifully. jhs

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was wonderful, Letty. I enjoy reading your blog. lsp

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your comments and remembering Pat. kz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Letty, this is truly a wonderful story. To give away my age, I was in Miss Lemmon's first class at McCandless (Just a few years ago. Lol!) She was a great teacher. Later, I was proud to call her a friend. dse

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful tribute. She really was one of a kind. ker

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, Pat was Pat! ncs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Letty! What a beautiful remembrance of Pat! A Class act always. carriebr

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well said and so appropriate. jime

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for a very special tribute. I send it to my children. mmc

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Letty. This was great. She certainly was intimidating as a brand new teacher, but when you got to know her you saw her softer side. sw

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! Thank you, Letty. Pat was such a special lady. She always made a point to ask me about Connor and give me a hug. mwc

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely sentiment, Letty. Glad you knew her. pw

    ReplyDelete